Saturday, January 8, 2011

Birds

-->
Last night I discovered Nepalese beer, Everest Beer, and the horrible hangovers it induces after a mere 2 bottles. Therefore, my first free day (and it was a beautiful one at that with lots of sun and warm air) was spent lying in bed feeling like a sailor taking his first steps on land after at year a sea and ends up walking into ships anchor. There was a lot of pain and nausea involved. Either Everest beer is made with a ton of chemicals or one simply should not drink at high altitudes. Or both.

Nevertheless, I did get the chance to appreciate the sounds of Kathmandu during the day, which were actually really soothing. My apartment in the suburb of Patan has a view of an overgrown garden where lots of animals seem to have made themselves comfortable, and if it wasn't for the big trees and miniature jungle that has flourished in this little garden, I would have a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains. Never mind. Instead, I get to hear lots of birds in song, twittering and gossiping away at each other, making shrieks of alarm at the passing vultures, and sweetly calling their young ones to bed. In the distance, I could hear a man sending out his greetings to the world with many repeated hellos, as if chanting in not so silent meditation. Not once did I hear a construction site.

Tomorrow will be better. I will buy a bicycle, and make my way to the edges of Kathmandu city and explore the area. I will also buy warm sweaters, blankets and a pillow which is at the very least softer than a plank of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment