Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Moving Day

And yet again I have moved. Not as drastic as change as the last move, this is after all within the same house, but still a hassle. Pack everything up into my bag and once again stress about the fact that I waaaay too many things to actually fit comfortably into the one already oversized bag. And that's just clothes. Books? Don't talk to me about books. I've come to terms with the fact that some will have to be left behind, but sketchbooks? Not a chance. Where do all these things come from?

In the spirit of moving in Nepal, I also decided to move house like the Nepalis do. The first time I packed all my belongings into a Suzuki taxi like you see the Nepalis do only to have my belongings dumped in the dust in front of the alley of my future house. This time I packed things on my bicycle and half walked/cycled precariously balancing a 1 m x 1.5 m bamboo shelf on the back, after being assured by the shop keeper that that bit of string would keep the shelf "secure". It did, but that's beside the point. It wasn't until I had to unmount the shelf that I realized it had been tied with a bow. Stopping on the way to buy fruit and veg was great as well. Apparently having a shelf on the back of your bike makes you much more likely to get automatic discounts. My awesome Nepali skills contribute as well of course.

Now I have a new room. My own room with an actual bed (even if it isn't earthquake safe), a roof terrace and an outdoor toilet with a view to a carpenter's workshop. Pigeons do their best to make sure I get to sleep and wake up happily by crooning songs through my window but really I just want to run out there yelling and screaming, and strangle each and every one of them. It's only been one night but my back and neck already miss sleeping on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment