Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Mud skippers, sea slugs and Synapta Maculata

Sea diving in the Philippines is a marine biologists' wet dream with countless underwater species to be seen, even by the most amateur enthusiasts such as myself who have no idea what they're looking at. As a pretend marine biologist, one who has explored a fair number of coral reefs around the world in the Americas, Europe, Asia and Oceania (Great Barrier Reef not included), I can certify that this is one of the most diverse and biologically rich oceans to explore. Although I have also heard great things about Indonesian and Papuan waters. Moray eels, clown fish in anemones, long nosed snapper, sea turtles, different coloured parrot fish, moorish fish, lobsters, angelfish, long nosed butterfly fish, starfish, and pufferfish are some of the great underwater creatures you will see while diving in the Philippines. Here are some of the creatures I was most excited/intrigued to see:

If you're wondering what the hell is a Synapta Maculata, that is exactly what I thought when I first saw one. Clues:
  • It lives underwater;
  • It is long and snake like;
  • Appears to be wearing a skin too big for its size which bunches up depending on the creatures' shape or position;
  • It has stubby whitish tentacles on one end with little feelers that wave back and forth, presumably for feeding;
  • The other side looks like the end of tail;
  • It has black and white stripes.
After hunting around on the internet for a while with searches like "striped underwater snake with tentacles", I finally found an answer. It's basically something like a spotted worm sea cucumber which can grow up to 2 meters in length. Pretty harmless creatures, but I wouldn't want to accidentally swim into a group of those.

Sea slugs are the cutest things. I've never before had the chance to see them in the wild, but swimming 20m below sea level, you'll suddenly see tiny bits of purple and white stripes wiggling around you. Take a closer look and it's an itty bitty sea slug swimming enthusiastically, it's yellow horns ready to pounce on a delicious bit of sponge. Tasty. There are many kinds of sea slugs and they come in all beautiful shapes and sizes, but here in the Philippines the most common are chromodoris lochiThe ones I saw were about 2cm long, but they can grow to double that size.

When I was little, I used to love watching nature documentaries and I remember learning about these weird fish that lived on land. Somehow the name of these creatures stuck with me, and as soon as I saw them I knew I was looking at mud skippers or periophthalmus cantonensis. They are amphibious fish which spend most of their lives above water by breathing through water stored in their cheeks. They belong to the same family as gobies, those little fish with beautiful multicoloured tails which breed like crazy in aquariums. Of course, the goby family is huge and there are many different kinds. You can learn more about mud skippers here (courtesy of David Attenborough's BBC Life series) :





No comments:

Post a Comment