Thursday, June 16, 2011

Salvadoran Legislative Court

A good friend of the family received a very distinguished award from the legislative branch of El Salvador's very apt and capable government so the three females of this family (excluding the cat) bundled ourselves in the car and sped away through rain and thunderstorms to attend the award ceremony. I am now proud to say that I have been inside the buildings of El Salvador's central governance, have sat with the who's who of El Salvador's political royalty (although I did not know it at the time) and have watched bemusedly as my mother the photographer flitted back and forth among all this grandeur, unapologetically pointing a 30cm lens in people's faces.

What can I say, it was exciting for all about 10 minutes until we all realized hardly anything could be understood over the incessant chatter of gossipy women sitting in the back corner of the legislative court. Who gossips in a legislative court?!

It was really interesting though. I felt like I was in an episode of the West Wing: El Salvador, sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a glimpse of our president Mauricio Funes in the midst of drama and action. He never showed, apparently was never supposed to. Only the likes of ARENA's Calderon Sol (cough), and the Minister of Defense and other important people which I remained completely oblivious to. There was talk about the war, the progress that has been achieved, and of course my uncle's involvement in this progress and all of his achievements. All had good things to say, it got very political at one point which was when the gossiping hit its peak, and a couple flashes later it was over. Four females bundled themselves in a car and sped away home.

No comments:

Post a Comment