Monday, February 7, 2011

Conversations

“Namaste”
“Namaste”

Hands in prayer position, both heads bowed. Occasionally I receive a salute in response. I find I tend to greet and have conversations with people who aren’t used to receiving greetings from foreigners, and after a brief look of surprise, will break into a smile and proudly salute. They’re mostly older guards.

“Where you from?”
Smile, “Guess.” I can’t help but smile when this question comes up.
“You are not Nepalese, I thought you were Nepalese. Maybe Chinese or Korean?”
“German”
“German! You look more Chinese or Korean. Maybe Japanese”

Then there was that African gentlemen at Bangkok International:

“Where you fram?”
“Umm, I’m looking for the transit schedule”
“You look German”
“Oh. Well I suppose I am”
“German’s are strong,” flexes muscles, “are you strong?”
Mmmm, strange conversation here “Uh, I guess. Nice to meet you, bye!”



"Ebany! Ebany! Are you there? Are you alright?"
Sleeping. "Hmm? Yes, sorry, is something wrong?"
"Are you alright?"
Confused. "Yes? What time is it?", looking around for a clock
"Oh wonderful, you overslept!"
"Overslept, what? What time is it...10:30?!" Jumps out of bed, starts running around frantically.
"Oh yes, your office called to see if you were alright, but how wonderful you overslept. You must have had a very good nights rest after such a long flight..."
"They called?!" 
"...well yes, to check you were alright, but how wonderful you overslept..."


“500 Rp for a picture! Come, take a picture!”
“I don’t have money sorry”
“100 Rp!”
“I really don’t have any money”
“I will take whatever you have!”
I’m sure you will, “Sorry”

Looking at phone, phone rings, “hello?”
“You sent me a blank message?
“Yes sorry I was…”
“Why you send me a blank message?”
“I was trying to call you and…”
“So what do you want?”
“Actually I’d like some language lessons, do you teach Nepali?”
“Ahh, yes I teach Nepali. How many lessons? When do you want them?”
“Twice a week? When are you free?”
“I am always free. How about three times a week? Three times a week is better.”
“Are you free after 5 during the week?”
“No that is not good. What about during the day, day is better for me”
“Well I work from 9 – 5 so that wouldn’t work for me”
“How about 4-5? That is good for me. Three times a week”

"Ebany! Ebany! Are you there? Are you alright?"
Sleeping. "Hmm? Yes, sorry, is something wrong?"
"Are you alright?"
Confused. "Yes? What time is it?", looking around for a clock, panic, have I overslept again? 7:30, it's ok.
"I smell gas, do you smell gas? Are you alright?"
"Yes, I'm fine." sniffs "I do smell gas though" Jumps out of bed, starts investigating. Roshana, my landlady is already in the room sniffing away at things.
"It's not the gas heater, and the cooker's off"
"Strange, well open the window and come have a cup of tea"

"Roshana? Hello? Roshana?"
"Upstairs!How are you?"
"I'm good thanks, is something wrong with the water?"
"What's wrong with the water?"
"Well I haven't had running water for two days now..."
She screws up her face in concentration, puzzledly thinking..."Ah! I turned off your water!"
"You turned off...?"
"...you said the toilet was leaking and I didn't have time to investigate so I thought I'd just turn off your water to stop it from leaking"

Oh, well that makes sense I guess. Mind you, this has happened twice since then and the toilet still leaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment